Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day Seven, Going Home

It was so hard this morning to get up and pack and know we were heading towards the final good-byes. We got up at 4:30AM and were across the street to catch the bus by 5:30 AM. Lots of tears. I managed to hold it together until the older children lined up and sang "I Am Not Forgotten, God Knows My Name."
There is no way anyone could listen to the song and see their faces and not cry. It was even hard watching the young people say goodbye to the kids. Marisa could hardly let go and get on the bus. I think Betty cried all the way to Port Au Prince. So many hugs. Enough to last me until I get home and hug my own grandchildren.

Travel home was without incident except for Davi's devotion in the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Nothing could have been more meaningful to me personally than to know how deeply God touched her on this trip. On all the mission trips I have taken over the years, her's and Roger's personal stories have touched me the most. It confirms for me that God uses mission work to grow us as much as to help others.

So many people, both in our church, and in our personal networks, supported us and the work in Haiti. Each shares in this journey and I pray God blesses them with this knowledge. I am thankful to God for my family and their willingness to let me go and grow. I know they worry for my safety yet they send me off with smiles and hugs.

I feel like this adventure is not really over and now just wait for what God has next for me in Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment